Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Friday's Project

We've made it to our new home, and everything's going well! One of the great things about our little town is that they have a TON of thrift stores. Perfect for when you are hilariously broke and still need to furnish your house and have a crazy need to make things, and all the time in the world to do so. I am quite proud of my Goodwill finds the other day- a brand new waffle iron-$4 ($20 at Walmart), a brand new 2 burner hot plate-$9($40 at Walmart) and a bag of bias tape, piping, dye, and needles for $3. Check out the contents of the bag, I think I did pretty well!
Having multiple packages of bias tape made me want to do a project, so off I went to JoAnns to find fabric. Unfortunately, I didn't bring a coupon, so the adorable fabric to make Little Dude a blanket wasn't an option. BUT, when digging thru the remnant bin, I found just enough fabric for something I actually needed-an apron. I think I inherited Mom's ability to COVER myself in whatever I hapen to be cooking. Here's what I found:
I think that Mom made an apron for Cass/Cris out of the exact same light blue dotted fabric for the trek. 
I figured, an apron's not that hard, so I snatched it up and went for it. I looked around on pinterest for ideas, then started cutting away at the precious 1 total yard of fabric that I had. I quickly figured out that pleats are cute, but a pain in the butt, especially if you hate pinning and ironing.
Everything was going so well, and thought I was going to just put it together, sew on the ruffle and be done.
But then, I made the ruffle and sewed it on. It went completely wronky, twisted, and generally looked like crap. So, I got to pick it off of the apron, then pick it apart. Because I didn't have ANY extra fabric, and needed to salvage what I had. After some careful measuring of what I had left to work with, I got it all done. 
What do you think? I made it empire waisted so that it comes above my expanding belly, and I think it turned out about as good as can be expected.

Now that I've finished a project that I immediately needed, I can get started on more for the boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment